I will be chairing a session on science communication practice and would appreciate your help in shaping our discussion. We often hear how important it is to bridge the gap between researchers and practitioners, but are we making any real progress in this regard? Please let me know what you regard to be the most important questions that we should discuss around this topic? I look forward to hearing from you.
Current issues on the agenda (open to change) are:
- What is science communication practice? How is this defined? How is it different from science PR (if it is)?
- Who are practitioners? What roles do they play?
- Science communication versus science PR: Are their reasons for ethical concerns?
- Practitioners and their application (or not) of science communication research results
- Practitioners who do research (and vice versa)
- How do science communication researchers and practitioners interact?
- What/how do we know about research questions and needs raised by practitioners
- Evaluation of science communication practices